Micro- or Bite Size Learning is the new craze in online education. The ANA Education Innovation Subcommittee is excited to announce the launch of an ANA Bite Size Learning program in 2020. ANA members are offered the opportunity to claim AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM for eligible modules.
ANA Highlights Program Lead: Michelle Johansen, MD, PhD, Johns Hopkins University
ANA Highlights producers & planners are members of the Education Innovation Committee.
Have an idea for a module? For our Bite Size Learning program, the ANA will schedule time to virtually record 10-15 minute presentations with guest lecturers. If you have an idea for a presentation, maybe an important update about your work, a call to action for others to join you in working on a particular initiative, or another hot topic in the world of academic research, please submit your ideas here.
ANA Highlights The Placebo Effect
What does the word Placebo mean to you? Randomized, placebo controlled clinical trials have been the mainstay of clinical science for decades. Physicians, and medical researchers may assume that they understand the underlying concepts of a placebo controlled trial, but automatically assuming that rigorous research equates to placebo controlled trials is inaccurate. In this ANA Highlights, we will talk about placebos, what we can learn from them, as well as situations where alternative study designs should be considered. Watch this 20-minute video to learn more.
- Guest: Dr. Erin Longbrake, Yale University
- Interviewer/Producer: Dr. Rohini Samudralwar, University of Pennsylvania
ANA Highlights Neurogenetics
The ANA Highlights Neurogenetics program is chaired by Dr. M. Elizabeth Ross, Nathan Cummings Professor and Head, Laboratory of Neurogenetics and Development, Director, Center for Neurogenetics at Weill Cornell Medicine. The ANA Highlights bite-size learning program is chaired by Michelle C. Johansen, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Neurology, Cerebrovascular Division at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
The ANA received a grant from Illumina in support of this activity.
This program is comprised of four chapters in the following topics and includes short (~15 minutes), pre-recorded videos. Following this activity, the ANA expects learners to be more confident in their ability to:
- Understand the different types of neurogenetic testing available today, and prospects for future developments
- Advise patients knowledgeably about the utility and advisability of genetic testing
- Communicate and collaborate more effectively with genetic counselors
- Recognize the legal and ethical issues involved with neurogenetic testing
- Improve patient care through the above-listed capabilities
- Interviewer/Producer: Dr. Michelle Johansen
- Interviewer/Producer: Dr. M. Elizabeth Ross
- Interviewer/Producer: Dr. Andrea Gropman
- Interviewer/Producer: Dr. Jennifer Orthmann-Murphy
- Interviewer/Producer: Dr. Peter Todd
ANA Highlights Statistical Snapshots
- Are you looking for a digestible way to learn next-level statistical concepts?
- Have you forgotten critical Epidemiology terms from Medical School?
- Are you an academic neuroscientist who is trying to understand the best techniques to apply to your research?
The ANA Highlight's Statistical Snapshots series is an excellent way to meet your goals. In this series of seven modules, ranging from 10-22 minutes, you will find a high-yield overview of critical statistical concepts that go beyond interpretation of p-values to provide a foundation by which to conduct research, regardless of level or training.
Did you enjoy this series? Is there an area in which you would like to dig deeper? Email the ANA at email@example.com and let us know what you thought!
This program is comprised of the following bite-size videos.
- Sensitivity & Specificity (~12 minutes)
- Essential Study Design and Statistical Concepts for the Clinician Scientist (~22 minutes)
- Adaptive Designs (~18 minutes)
- Biases, Confounders, and Mediators (~17 minutes)
- Linear Regression (~10 minutes)
- The Odds Ratio (~18 minutes)
- Clinical Trial Design: The Statistician's Perspective (~20 minutes)
- Interviewer/Producer: Rohit Das, MD, MPH, UT Southwestern
- Interviewer/Producer: Michelle C. Johansen, MD, PhD , Johns Hopkins University