The Distinguished Neurology Teacher Award was established in 1996 to recognize outstanding accomplishments in teaching neurology to residents and medical students. The purpose is to encourage efforts to recognize and reward contributions by gifted and talented teachers in neurology. Each Neurology Department in the U.S. and Canada is encouraged to nominate one individual from the entire field of neurology each year.
- Nominees must be faculty members in either tenure or non-tenure track.
- The nominee's educational accomplishments should be in neurology and the nominee should be actively teaching.
- Nominees who have published in the field of medical education and whose educational materials have been adopted by other institutions will be given special consideration.
- An institutional system for selecting candidates that provide for broad student participation and the peer judgment of faculty colleagues will be favored.
- The nominee does NOT need to be an ANA member.
Candidates who have submitted unsuccessfully in the past may reapply. Self-nominations are encouraged.
The awardee will also receive:
- $1,000 honorarium
- gratis Annual Meeting registration
- up to $1,000 travel reimbursement ( when travel is required)
- a commemorative plaque
Complete nominations must include the following:
- Nominee's CV with a complete bibliography
- Two (2) letters of support, 1 from each of the following:
a. A letter from a National Neuroscience colleague involved in education that summarizes their teaching efforts and educational accomplishments
b. A letter from a former student or trainee familiar with the nominee
Note: The committee will be looking for documentation of National reputation in neuroscience educations.
- designing innovative curriculum
- mentoring generations of neuroscience educators
- publication in neuroscience education
2020 Recipient: Ann Poncelet, MD
2019 John Kincaid, MD
2018 No award presented
2017 Zachary London, MD
2016 David Lee Gordon, MD, FAAN, FANA, FAHA
2015 Joseph Berger, MD, FACP, FAAN, FANA
2013 Jose Biller, MD, FACP, FAAN, FAHA
2012 Carl E. Stafstrom, MD, PhD
2011 Martin A. Samuels, MD
2010 John W. Engstrom, MD
2009 Lisa R. Merlin, MD
2008 Jeremy D. Schmahmann, MD
2007 Larry E. Davis, MD
2006 Jasper R. Daube, MD
2005 Nina F. Schor, MD, PhD
2004 Steven L. Galetta, MD
2003 Nancy J. Newman, MD
2002 Keith W. Brownell, MD
2001 Robert M. Pascuzzi, MD
2000 Douglas J. Gelb, MD, PhD
1999 James Q. Miller, MD
1998 Ralph F. Jozefowicz, MD
1997 Daniel H. Lowenstein, MD