The Distinguished Neurology Teacher Award was established in 1996 to recognize outstanding accomplishments in teaching neurology to residents and medical students. The purpose is to encourage efforts to recognize and reward contributions by gifted and talented teachers in neurology. Each Neurology Department in the U.S. and Canada is encouraged to nominate one individual from the entire field of neurology each year.
- Nominees must be faculty members in either tenure or non-tenure track.
- The nominee's educational accomplishments should be in neurology and the nominee should be actively teaching.
- Nominees who have published in the field of medical education and whose educational materials have been adopted by other institutions will be given special consideration.
- An institutional system for selecting candidates that provide broad student participation and the peer judgment of faculty colleagues will be favored.
- The nominee does NOT need to be an ANA member.
- Candidates who have submitted unsuccessfully in the past may reapply. Self-nominations are encouraged.
- $1,000 Honorarium
- Gratis Annual Meeting Registration
- Up to $1,000 Travel Reimbursement
- A Commemorative Plaque
Complete nominations must include the following:
- Nominee's CV with a complete bibliography
- Two (2) letters of support, one (1) from each of the following:
a. A letter from a national neuroscience colleague involved in education that summarizes their teaching efforts and educational accomplishments.
b. A letter from a former student or trainee familiar with the nominee
Note: The committee will be looking for documentation of the nominee's national reputation in neuroscience education.
- Designing innovative curriculum
- Mentoring generations of neuroscience educators
- Publication in neuroscience education
2023 Recipient: Tracey Milligan, MD
- 2022: Deanna Saylor, MD, MHS
- 2021: Robert Lisak, MD, FRCP, FAAN, FANA
- 2020: Ann Poncelet, MD
- 2019: John Kincaid, MD
- 2018: No award presented
- 2017: Zachary London, MD
- 2016: David Lee Gordon, MD, FAAN, FANA, FAHA
- 2015: Joseph Berger, MD, FACP, FAAN, FANA
- 2013: Jose Biller, MD, FACP, FAAN, FAHA
- 2012: Carl E. Stafstrom, MD, PhD
- 2011: Martin A. Samuels, MD
- 2010: John W. Engstrom, MD
- 2009: Lisa R. Merlin, MD
- 2008: Jeremy D. Schmahmann, MD
- 2007: Larry E. Davis, MD
- 2006: Jasper R. Daube, MD
- 2005: Nina F. Schor, MD, PhD
- 2004: Steven L. Galetta, MD
- 2003: Nancy J. Newman, MD
- 2002: Keith W. Brownell, MD
- 2001: Robert M. Pascuzzi, MD
- 2000: Douglas J. Gelb, MD, PhD
- 1999: James Q. Miller, MD
- 1998: Ralph F. Jozefowicz, MD
- 1997: Daniel H. Lowenstein, MD