Deadline: July 01, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
The purpose of the International Outreach Scholarship is to allow young neurologists the opportunity to pursue their global interests in neurology. This opportunity will take advantage of the excellent mentorship opportunities within the ANA membership and catapult new collaborations for future careers in a variety of neurological disciplines. The travel scholarship provides reimbursement up to $5000 for roundtrip airfare, country entry, medical evacuation, and repatriation insurance (if institutional insurance is unavailable), visas, medical license, accommodations, and local transport during an abroad rotation, and/or vaccinations/travel-related medications.
Eligible candidates include ANA Members who are neurology residents, fellows or junior faculty and are within the first three years from the start date of their first faculty appointment at the time of application. Candidates must have:
- A named mentor in the applicant's location of training who is an ANA member with at least Assistant Professor level appointment
- A letter of support from a host institution in a low or middle-income country
- A proposal which includes: (see more detail in File Upload Section II)
- Educational opportunity for the candidate
- Benefit for the neurological care of patients at the receiving institution
- Educational opportunity for trainees of the receiving institution
- Collaborative research opportunity between the US and receiving institution
Eligible candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current member in good standing in the ANA.
- Be in good standing with their respective training/employment programs.
- Complete basic and advanced security in the field training through the United Nations ( available online).
- Agree to have their summary, names and project title listed on the ANA website.
- Agree to submit a formal report to the ANA IOC Committee and Executive committee with 90 days of return.
- Agree to work in the host country for a minimum of six (6) weeks, traveling within the academic year following the award, unless there are special circumstances that are approved by the committee.
- Agree to submit an abstract to the ANA in the Global Neurology category at the next Annual Meeting following their travel.
- Agree that anything above the scholarship amount of $5000 is the responsibility of the recipient